Thursday, March 25, 2010

Procrastination Exasperation





Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task.  ~William James

I will admit it, I am a first class procrastinator of the worst kind!

Mark Twain once said, "Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow."

Now that's a motto I can get behind!  

My husband finally bribed me with the promise of a facial and a massage if I would just please make the appointment to get our taxes done.  Well, I have to say, he found a good motivator for me! It's worked! Taxes done! Whew! And did that feel like a load off of my shoulders as we walked out of the tax preparation office today.

Why do we procrastinate?  Especially those tasks that are inevitable?

I think I need to examine why I procrastinate: Am I afraid of failing at the task? Am I a perfectionist and only willing to begin working after every little element is in place? Am I easily distracted? 

Hmmmm.... well honestly I'm a little of each of those.

Do you procrastinate?  Or, have you overcome this bad habit? 

I'd love to hear back from you!  Stories of procrastination, tips to help overcome procrastination.... it's your turn to talk now!

Click on the comment link below this post and let me hear back from you!

Ok.. I have to go now, I've been procrastinating and need to get things done!


The Procrastinator's Guide to Getting Things DoneThe Procrastinator's Handbook: Mastering the Art of Doing It NowProcrastination: Why You Do It, What to Do About It NowThe Now Habit: A Strategic Program for Overcoming Procrastination and Enjoying Guilt-Free Play The Complete Idiot's Guide to Overcoming Procrastination I Will Conquer My Procrastination Problem Subject T-Shirt, L - Grey

3 comments:

Queen Gwennie said...

Garcia, this is such a coincidence. I love to journal and I want to share just one of my journal entries with you. "I had to go to the store to get a high chair that I promised someone I would buy two months ago. We are having dinner tomorrow night and I was supposed to have it ordered and delivered to her house. Can you say PROCRASTINATION?! What would I have done if Baby’s R Us did not have this high chair? Not just any high chair. I pressured her into telling me the one she really wanted and promised that I would get it for her. Is procrastination a sin? It sure feels like." So as you can see my dear Garcia, I too am a big procrastinator. But why?! I am supposing on one hand it has to do with my insecurity issues and on the other my not wanting to deal with the general public -the internet is soo much better! I am currently reading two books (because that is how I do it!) Ordering your private World by Gordon MacDonald and The Life you've Always Wanted by John Ortberg and they both address these issues. I am in possession of my teachable spirit and I am ready to overcome!

Garcia said...

Oh! Queen Gwennie! A sin? WOW! You know I never thought of it like that... I'll have to Google that...

Well, this is what I came up with:
http://www.gospelcenterchurch.org/procrastination.html

http://www.mountainretreatorg.net/classics/proc1.html

http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art4995.asp

So, now I have one more reason (and a very good one at that!) to work more diligently to kill this bad habit I have of procrastinating!

I also love to hide from the real world behind my computer! EEEK!

Well, let's make a pact about something shall we, my friend? We will not use hiding behind our computer or procrastination or insecurity to miss out on that great little adventure you & I and our other friend have planned
OK? OK!!! ((((HUGS))))

purefire said...

Hey Garcia! Karen here; I was going to post something earlier but put it off!! I'm well versed in procrastination and it has cost me more than I care to admit; however, I'm having a hard time getting out of the habit. And it's gotten harder since I got my laptop! So many interesting things to read on the internet!

Post a Comment